Sunday, December 27, 2009

My Very Own Christmas Story

This is my true Christmas story, it happened this year on December 23rd, 2009.

As many of you know we have 20 something rental homes, some we own and manage and others we just manage for other people. In the 8 years we have been in business this is a first.

Here in paradise, crime is a very rare occurrence, maybe a bar fight by a couple of guys after a night of drinking, or maybe some shop lifting, but rarely something more serious. Well we had our very first "Break In" of one of our homes, and a very unusual one at that.

A very neat burglar broke into one of our rental houses by breaking a rear window and jimmying a door lock in the back of the house. Once the burglar gained access, he turned on the heater and made himself at home. From the evidence left behind, we determined he cooked a steak and heated a can of baked beans. When he was finished with his meal he cleaned up his mess, including the broken glass from the window he broke, put all of his dirty dishes in the dishwasher, took a shower, neatly folding the bath towel and placed it on the vanity when he was done. Then watched a little TV, took a nap and left. Nothing else was broken or taken.

We discovered the break in the early afternoon of Wednesday, December 23rd, two days before Christmas. We check all of our houses on a regular basis to make sure they are ready for the next guests, or if the house is going to be vacant for a week or so, check to see that the AC is turned off.

During one of these rounds, we discovered the break in and I immediately called the Sheriff to report intrusion. When the Sheriff arrived I described the whole story and told him we had minimum damage, just a broken window and jimmied door, and nothing else broken or missing. The Sheriff suggested that it was probably someone cold and hungry. I told him it was not a big deal, but I mainly wanted a police report for insurance purposes to repair the window and door.

The officer hands me his business card - now this you're not going to believe, his name was "M. Christmas". True!

I asked him, please don't tell me your first name is Mary. He smiled and said, no Matt.

He took done all of our information and said the police report will be ready the first week of January. I am going to keep a copy of the police report and the officer's business card, just to back up my story.

To the person who broke into our home, Merry Christmas and I hope you have a better next year.

That's my real Christmas story.


Rick Scali


Rick Scali is the Owner of Easy Street Pet Friendly Vacation Rentals in Destin Florida. Whether you are a family looking for a squeaky clean Destin Rental Home with a Private Pool or a couple looking for a romantic getaway in a Destin Beachhouse, Easy Street Pet Friendly Vacation Rentals will exceed your expectations. Easy Street Pet Friendly Vacation Rentals has the largest selection of quality pet friendly homes in Destin, Florida and throughout the Emerald Coast. Call us toll-free today at 877.432.7978 or email us at info@easystreet-rentals.com - we would love to welcome you, your family AND Fido to join us at the beach.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Coming to this post reminded me of the Christmas eve...it was a very memorable day...Because I had brought gifts form my 1st salary...and that was really every special for me and my family members.Rest of the eve was spent singing,dancing,eating and drinking.
cheap florida holidays